WHO DOES YOUR ORGANIZATION SERVE?
Fernside provides grief support services and outreach and education to the community and families. An affiliate of Hospice of Cincinnati, Fernside services compliment Hospice of Cincinnati's comprehensive bereavement program by addressing the unique needs of children and teens. Fernside provides all services free of charge with the help of generous donors who support our mission.
WHAT IS THEIR BIGGEST CHALLENGE?
You might be looking for ways to explain the death in your family, information on how to prepare a child for the funeral or how you can support a student in your class who has experienced a death. Learning the words to use can be difficult but so important when dealing with death. Let our resources guide you as you support your family or the children and families with whom you are working.
HOW DO YOU HELP THEM?
Fernside offers peer support for grieving families – children, teens and adults. Fernside works to increase community awareness of grief issues through community outreach.
- Evening Program- We offer groups for children and teens ages 3-18, who are grieving the death of a family member or friend. Parents and guardians also meet in their own support group.
- School Program- We collaborate with schools – elementary, junior high and high schools – to provide on-site grief support for grieving students.
- Camp Program- Our camp program includes an overnight summer camp for children ages 7-12, a weekend retreat for teens ages 13-18 and an overnight retreat for adults.
- Phone Consultations- Fernside staff consult with helping professionals, parents/guardians and other community members who have grief-related questions or concerns.
- Crisis Response- Fernside provides support to schools and other organizations following a death.
- Community Outreach & Education- We provide presentations on a variety of topics related to grief in addition to sharing information about our history and services.
- Literature & Materials- Fernside has designed and developed materials for grieving people and helping professionals.
WHERE CAN WE FIND OUT MORE?
Music to Grieve toListening to sad music after losing a loved one, being diagnosed with a terminal illness, or finalizing a divorce might seem counterintuitive, but this somber sounding activity has been proven to help.
Nothing can prepare you for grief, nor is there a right or wrong way to deal with it, but sad music is an easily accessible and highly effective tool that can help you begin to heal.Learn How Sad Music Can Help You